Thursday, April 07, 2016

Back For Now: Unfinished Business

Been out of town for almost a week again. Another horrible trip to UCSF. Now that I'm here I'll comment on something I noticed right before I left:

The Humboldt Consequential gives an example of why I've often wondered if it's appropriate to publicly release arrest reports. Someone assciated with the Humboldt Area Foundation was arrested for drunk driving. Note he was arrested, not convicted, yet THC goes on to comment, "THC will refrain from pointing out how irresponsible, reprehensible, contemptible, horrible, and many other words ending with -ible, that drunk driving is."

Not quite as bad as I remembeed it. Still, it suggests that the person arrested is guilty before any further facts are known- guilty in his mind by the arrest alone.

Not only do I not enjoy kicking someone when they're down, but wouldn't we all like to have the right of innocence until proven guilty. Seems to me publicizing arrests negates that to some extent, at least in the minds of many folks. Maybe we should just publish the court schedule? That might not be as accusatory that publishing someone's arrest seems to be.
*******
More importantly, I was wondering what happened with the deadline (April 2) set for the homeless to move out of their encampment behind the Bayshore Mall? I expected at least some resistance and mention of it in the Times- Standard or Lost Coast Outpost, yet not a word that I could find. Anyone have any info on that?

2 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

DUI is not always "drunken driving".

THC fucked that up too!

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If a media company is going to publish booking photos, it has little regard for the truth.

They incriminate by suggestion, and to hell with reality. That seems to be their functional stance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home