Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Hide! Geomagnetic Storms OTW

Earth Sky News reports a large sunspot is facing earth and gives us, " a 75% chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms on April 13 when a solar wind stream is expected to hit Earth’s magnetic field." ,
So this is how it all ends?

I've actually seen bigger sunspots myself through binoculars. Have I told that story here before? It'll tell it again, regardless:

We'd stopped at Port of Dammam in Saudi Arabia one morning for a break. Most of us were taking a nap but I looked at the sun. You could look straight at the sun back then- the smoke in the air from the Kuwait oil fires acting kinda like the smoked glass you'd use to watch eclipses.

I thought I noticed a spot on the sun so grabbed my compact binoculars from my rucksack and took a closer look. Yep. There was a spot, just like the one in the picture- about the same size,a nyway. But there was also a much larger one shaped like an hourglass next to it. Pretty neat seeing it with the naked eye. I passed the bincolars around so everyone else could take a look.

I don't know if we had geomagnetic storms as a result of those sunspots but I suppose that means not too much threat from this one since the ones I saw were bigger.

5 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The article states the only 'threat' is some beautiful auroras.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah, but maybe they'e just trying to not scare everyone? Maybe the sun will generate an electomagnetic pulcse, blowing out all electrical equipment and ending life on Earth as we know it?

 
At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always intend on having extra gear tucked safely away in a Faraday Box, but here I sit slapping my forehead, while worrying about my gear.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Time to get more tinfoil, shades, some beer, some weed, some heroin, some meth, a Bible, and a tape player ringing taps over the mouthwash gurgle that some deputy dog sheriff is rapping in heroic tonal ranges that tinfoil man must vacate the premises or be arrested.

That about sums up,

"A day in the life. ~ Beatles"

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Fred the info and photos were really neat!!! BTW, did Chicken Little (the sky is falling) help write the article? Ha,ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home