Thursday, May 05, 2016

Sample Ballots In The Mail

It seemed a little early so I was surprised to see our sample ballots in our mailbox yesterday.

I'm even more surprised by what's inside. Only five candidates listed for U.S. President, none of them being the "top two". I've never heard of any of the guys on the list, save Green Party candidate Jill Stein. But, they do have a slot for a write in vote. I suppose I can write in Gary Johnson. He's supposed to be on the general election ballot here so probably qualifies as a legitimate write in vote.

For those of you who think you'll be funny by writing in your own name, that doesn't work. Your name won't be counted. Write in candidates have to file papers with the Elections Office just as candidates that are on the ballot do. It's too late to file your papers now.

Only a few presidential choices, but not so for U.S. Senate. Thirty four(!!!) names listed in that one, or so I read. I'm not gonna count them. Suffice it to say, there's a lot, including perennial Libertarian Party U.S. Senate candidate, Gail Lightfoot, whose box I'll check.

As for the rest, no big deal U.S. Representative has four names and one write in slot. Simple enough on that one: Anyone but Jared Huffman

Only one listed for State Assembly- our very own James Wood. I guess I'll leave that one blank

The only ballot initiative showing is one that suspends state legislators for reasons I"m not clear on. Not sure what to do about that one.

You can go to the League of Women Voter's Smartvoter web site to get an idea of what your ballot will look like, assuming yours hasn't arrived yet.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's another listing of candidates. http://www.politics1.com/ca.htm
Go Lightfoot!

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, Im going through the list for senate, & just had to rush this one over to you. Check out Jason Kraus interview on the show news & views. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew88gNmgRcg
Only problem I see, so far, is he is limiting himself to only one term. If he is anywhere close to being as wonderful as Justin Amash or Massie, that will suck when his term is over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home