Saturday, June 18, 2016

I Like Hockey

I
I'll admit to being a social misfit if for no other reason than I'm not sure I could care much less about sports. Not sure I've ever cared much. Makes you really feel like an outsider when you work somewhere where everyone else is a football fan as it was when I worked at the Humboldt Bay Power Plant. Superbowl time was insufferable there as that was all most talked about then, except for me and John Krause. He didn't care, either. But others seemed to live for football. I remember the late Rich Whitmire asking me once; "How can you not like football?".

I suggested to John Krause once that maybe we should form a Society of the Socially Retarded for those of us who didn't care who won the Superbowl. We never got around to doing that.

One exception to sports for me is I enjoy watching hockey. If nothing else, that just looks like it would be fun to play. Onr problem for me being I can't skate. I used to when I was kid in Illinois. I remember a school or park there where a small pond would freeze over in the winter and everyone would go there to skate.

Then there was the time we went to one of the Great Lakes. Not sure which one it was, but I ended up skating on a huge frozen lake. At some point I fell down, hitting my head on the ice. I remember laying rhere looking across the ice and miles away were a bunch of snow covered hills. Then I blacked out, only to waken some time later on a table in a warm room. No harm done and no lasting damage to me.

Not sure if I could learn to skate again. At my age, I"d be leery to try, but it might be worth it if someone would start a hockey league up here. Don't they have an ice rink in Fortuna? We could play hockey there. I'd be leery to try, though. Watching the game on TV, I don't know I'd survive the many slams players make running into the enclosure of the ice rink . I suspect just one of those would send me to the hospital. Still, the game sure looks fun.

Gotta learn the rules, though, so if any of you want to play, here's the Dummy Guide to Hockey Rules.

12 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Hockey is great, a sport not meant for pussies, the political correct and cops/attorneys/judges when a person has earned a deserved ass whooping - a reason why the american injustice system is what it is so attorneys can transfer wealth into their legal lined pockets. Simply being an attorney opens that person up to scrutiny and subjected to off the record trials, especially when attorneys do evil shit to their own clients, something people who report legal cases never discuss, meaning the repirti g is flawed.

Never met J. Krauss, bit know A. Krause, and if all ducks are in a row family wise, then JK done a good job.

Golf, fun to play, shitty to watch.


 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Hockey is great, a sport not meant for pussies, the political correct and cops/attorneys/judges when a person has earned a deserved ass whooping - a reason why the american injustice system is what it is so attorneys can transfer wealth into their legal lined pockets. Simply being an attorney opens that person up to scrutiny and subjected to off the record trials, especially when attorneys do evil shit to their own clients, something people who report legal cases never discuss, meaning the repirti g is flawed.

Never met J. Krauss, bit know A. Krause, and if all ducks are in a row family wise, then JK done a good job.

Golf, fun to play, shitty to watch.


 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

John's ex wife's name is Shelly.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ice hockey is a great, great sport! Like you, I do not like football. Have you ever heard of the sport of curling? It also sounds like alot of fun. When I was in high school we played field hockey. It was my favorite sport. Baseball is a good sport, I think. Archery was my second favorite gym class. Ice hockey is just the greatest. Golf would probably be fun to play. Have you ever played field hockey? It would be a more manageable alternative to ice hockey😃

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

HOJ was thinking of the legendary, one and only, guru of all things originally sculptured as kinetic........he is a phenom, an honest person, a living and caring husband and father, he is an asset to life. He is a machine, a hard worker, a donator, civicly involved.....not sure if he is the son of J. Krauss or not.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

LaCrosse?

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

LaCrosse?

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

HOJ was thinking of the legendary, one and only, guru of all things originally sculptured as kinetic........he is a phenom, an honest person, a living and caring husband and father, he is an asset to life. He is a machine, a hard worker, a donator, civicly involved.....not sure if he is the son of J. Krauss or not.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Similar, Lacrosse is a little rougher, think. Google field hockey.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Kind Fred, Not liking football does not make you socially inept or less of a man. Here is a poem--just for you, because you have these qualities that make a real man. It is entitled"If"by Rudyard Kipling. If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, But make allowance for their doubting too; If you can wait and not be tired by waiting, Or be lied about, don't deal in lies, or be hated, don't give way to hating, And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise: If you can dream--and not make dreams your master; If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim; If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster And treat those two imposters just the same! If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools, Or watch the things you gave your life to broken, and stoop and build'em up with worn out tools: If you can make one heap of all your winnings And risk it on one turn of pitch and toss, And lose, and start again at your beginnings And never breathe a word about your loss; If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew To serve your turn long after they are gone, And so hold on when there is nothing in you Except the will which says to them"Hold on!"If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings--nor lose the common touch, If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you, but none too much; If you can fill the unforgiving minute With sixty seconds'worth of distance run Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And--which is more--you'll be a man, my son.

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add me to your club, Fred.
I never realized how much fun Ice Hockey was until in the 90's when I caught the Olympic Games. I laughed so hard I cried! Great fun to watch. I'm still not a sports fanboy, but ice hockey is the one game I wouldn't change the channel on.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just remembered a conversation I had a couple months ago with a lady about my age(60) She is a member of a ladies curling team in Austin (about 25 miles from Georgetown). She said they play on the ice wearing gym shoes (no skates). They use the ice hockey arena of the Texas Stars.I would still probably fall etc. How about bocce tournament? Some towns have many teams, and it doesn't require much in game supplies. Meanwhile, H.O.J. and Fred maybe you could play some golf, and maybe some other people who post here could go too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home