Sunday, August 14, 2016

Would You Buy A Used Mattress?

The Lost Coast Outpost advises us a hotel in Valley West is selling its used mattresses. I don't know that I'd go for that. Like most, I don't want to sleep on other peoples grime. Then again, I sleep on used mattresses every time I stay in a motel.

I decided the mattresses at the Villa Inn in San Rafael were the most comfortable I'd ever slept on. The wife seemed to agree although she doesn't remember that now. I asked the manager what kind of mattresses they used. He told me Serta brand. 

I wondered if I could buy mattresses like that locally so looked up the Serta web site. Much to my surprise, the Serta site had a search tool, saying if you loved the mattress at a certain hotel they'd let you know what kind of mattress they sold them. 

I tried it and it gave me a quick answer although the name was too long to remember. Something like the ******hospitality mattress. Hospitality likely meaning sold to hotels only. But they did give a price and had an order form. The price of over $2000, if I remember correectly, was a bit much for us but it got me to wondering if there might be a more homeowner affordable mattress, sold locally, made along the same lines as their hotel types?  I never bothered asking the Serta folks. Not sure I expected them to give me an honest answer anyway.

I guess I was just curious as we'd recently bought a mattress from Overstock.com we were fairly happy with and it only cost $2- $300. We're still using it today and will buy another one from Overstock when the time comes. I'll try to avoid memory foam, though. I wasn't too happy with the memory thing, at least at first. It's been years now and we never notice it anymore, but maybe age lessens the memory in mattresses as it does in people?

4 Comments:

At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't imagine purchasing a mattress without first laying in it

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember leaving a Motel in Redding and they were replacing their mattress and said we could have one free. lol Of course we didn't take one.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

You have expensive tastes, Fred. The last mattress I bought was a refurbished one from St Vinnie's when they were still doing that. I'm sure it was less than $300. But I have never had problems sleeping.

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The one we bought from Overstock seemed less expensive than local ones, the downside being we couldn't try it out. We've been pretty content with it, aside from the "memory foam" I mentioned earlier. Didn't think anything of memory foam at first, although we heard it was supposedly a good thing. Didn't like it for the first week or so until it stopped remembering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home