Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Cheap TV?

I was out of the room last night but returned to have Connie mention some ad she saw on TV. She said you could get television service for $25.00 if you signed up for Sling TV. Sounded great to me. I don't have a problem with Suddenlink except for the monthy price- a bit pricey for us at almost $80.00.

So I wrote it down and put it on the computer table to remind me to check it out further this morning. I just got done with the SlingTV web site after trying their free one week trial and then canceling.

Turns out this Sling TV is just one of those internet stream things and it looks like you might need a Roku box, or something to make it work. They said you needed to install their app on your "device". So what device? I assumed that meant our TV and I had no idea how to do that.

Then it looked as if I might have to get one of their boxes- they had a Roku box, I think, featured on their web page. 

I'd entered my credit card info to get the free trial, then got a bit uncomfortable as I didn't know how to go further to set up the free trial. I also couldn't see anywhere on the web site to cancel the trial even though the site said you could cancel at anytime.

What did I get myself into, I wondered?

I finally called their 1-800 number and the lady on the other end said I could cancel by signing back into the site and there would be a link for cancelling. I did that, found it and cancelled. Whew! Close one.

It didn't look like that bad a deal to me. The $25.00 plan had a bunch of channels with one plan for $40.00 that included all their channels. The deal breaker for me was I didn't see MeTV or BBC among their choices. Connie didn't seem to care and she's the big TV watcher so I figured we'd go ahead and try it anyway.

I'll keep SlingRV in mind and maybe one of these days check back and reconsider, but I know there's other ways to get streaming internet TV.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've run across discussions & adds for Rippl, or Kodi, which requires bandwidth, but it doesn't use very much bandwidth they say. Might be another one to check out. You do have to buy a box. We don't watch much tv, no use for it, but it never hurts to look around.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We switched to SlingTV through Amazons Fire TV box. It is a great combo for on demand programs, and most of the channels we watched anyway. If you have Amazon Prime it is even better. Way cheaper than what we were spending on DishTV.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home