Sunday, September 18, 2016

Eureka City Council Goings On

The Times Standard reports on the goings on at a recent Eureka City Council meeting. I happened to watch most of that meeting- or at least the part dealing with pot- on Access Humboldt TV last night. I found it interesting with City Planning Director, Rob Holmlund, presenting all sorts of facts and figures involving the marijuana industry.

I was surprised at Holmlund's apparent strong support for allowing the "cannabis industry" to legally operate in Eureka. Most politicians and bureaucrats are afraid to support policies outside the norm for fear of something going wrong. Then they take the blame, or so they fear.

With the info Holmlund provided the city council shouldn't be too afraid to move forward with letting the pot businesses open and operate within the city.

In other matters, the city is expected to sign a letter in opposition to that Dakota Access pipeline which has been in the news of late. I personally think that shouldn't be within the purview of the Eureka City Council. That's the other state's business, not ours, and you have to wonder how the council would feel if another city in the country raised objections to our plans to develop Humboldt Harbor?

Then they'll consider the plastic bag ban. I'd like them to oppose that, but won't hold my breath as it takes genuine free- thinkers to resist hysterical environmentalists. They'll likely go along with the ban if only to be seen as environmentally concious. I urge them not to, although it's a state law and probably not something they have a lot of say in.

I find one thing very annoying in the section on the plastic bag ban:

 "Under this ban, residents will have an option to drop bags off at grocery stores or the Adorni Center to be shipped away for recycling."

No mention is made of the fact that plastic bag drop offs are already available at most larger stores. I drop mine off at the Henderson Center Rite Aid. The bins are also available at Winco and all other grocery stores of a certain size. It's not as if there's a major problem for residents to properly dispose of plastic bags as it is, but leave it to local media- and perhaps the city council- to suggest there is.

2 Comments:

At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's disturbing about city council trying to govern other states. What are we missing?

A group of seniors calling themselves the bag ladies, have been recycling those non recyclable recyclable bags into floor mats for the homeless. They cut them into strips, tie them together into a long line, roll the line into a big ball, then crochet them into floor mats & donate them to the homeless.
I guess the resourceful ingenuity isn't a part of the "smart growth" & "sustainability" the progressives desire.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger gabriele gray said...

I stash old bags in places where I might need one (or some) sometime. So when it came time to clean out the back of the car I came across lots of them. I was so prepared! Except the heat of the vehicle (sun thru the windows) had turned most of the bags into tiny bits of plastic and the older the bags, the smaller the pieces. I found a couple that weren't damaged so I could stuff the detritus into them and throw it away.
Trying to sweep the smaller bits up made for an car interior snow storm.
Yes, I know people weren't always responsible with the bags but what I'm seeing now is people taking multiples of the produce bags (of good size) and either triple bagging a couple apples or just slipping some into a purse so they'll have some bags.
When I first went to France I discovered that you had to bring your own or buy them...but the quality was better and the price lower. I'm still using 10 year old bags (with good handles, too) that cost much less than the dollar the basic bags cost. The ones that are heavier plastic and cost from 15 to 20 cents here were better made (attached handles, and yes, those are still good) and no more than ten cents (using conversion to the dollar).
A market I go to started out with good quality dollar bags and I used them for everything and still do. Then the quality was less and less and I hate the non-woven fabric ones that you can't wash, that DO absorb stuff and which aren't that durable. Some stores (like Trader Joe's) continue to sell you kraft paper bags which are great if you're buying lightweight stuff but anything heavy and the handles give way or tear.

And yes, I am ecologically minded. I'm happy when a company I buy from tells me they use the 'peanut' packing pieces that are actually made from cornstarch and will dissolve in water or can be composted for the garden. All too many companies continues with the puffed up plastic.
I buy on eBay from a company in Japan that sells old kimono fabrics and such. Mostly I buy fabric (I love the indigo blue cottons) but other things come packed in a sturdy enough (not Amazon big style) box and the peanuts. As I was emptying a box I happened to feel one and yes, it's one of the cornstarch peanuts. They're using them in Japan, I was very happy. They also use heavy duty kraft paper post envelopes (two times stronger than the TJ bags) and none of them have been damaged in shipping.
And I keep those for fabric storage because they are durable, good-sized and I like the logo on them. If I decide to recycle them I know they'll do that well also.
One thing I would like to know: All that plastic that's floating out in the Pacific Ocean. Can they really tell us where it all came from? I know people in the US consume a lot of things but I don't think we should carry the blame for the plastic mess.
So the stores that sell reusable bags make money; the beverage container recycle program in California is messed up and who really knows where the money goes?
I've decided it's all a plot by the big online retailers to make shopping in person such a hassle that you'll stay home and buy from them. Who's bankrolling some of the anti-bag campaigns?
How about a campaign:
BAN THE BANNERS OF THE BAGS!
GO BAG YOURSELF, BANNER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home