Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Great (?) Debate

No, I didn't watch the Clump debate that everyone else watched last night. That would have been beneath me. It turned out to be a good decision as I got to watch two episodes of Star Trek- The Next Generation I hadn't seen before. What a treat!

I did want to check this morning and see what various observers thought of the goings on- hopefully some objective viewpoints and not those of partisans who already favored one Clump over the other. I figured a libertarian viewpoint might be the most best as we generally consider ourselves above the Republican vs. Democrat fray. 

I wasn't disappointed, although it took me some time to find a debate review by Stephen Cox over at Liberty magazine. He called the debate a draw:

 "I’ll agree with Charles Krauthammer’s instant analysis and call the thing a draw, although I’m not quite sure what I mean by that." 

I'll take his word for it.

5 Comments:

At 10:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

i watched mad max 2 , road warrior

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the two actual post-debate polls (CNN/ORC and PPP), a large majority of viewers said Hillary won, in the CNN/ORC poll it was 2 to 1 in favor of Hillary. The difficulty in interpreting those polls is that a lot more Democrats watched, so the sample was about 15 points more Democratic than the voting population at large is, which is bound to exaggerate Hillary's performance in the poll. But the number that leaped out at me from the CNN/ORC poll was that among *independent* voters, Hillary still beat Trump soundly -- 54-33. That's a trouncing.

And as an independent who watched the debate, I am not at all surprised. Trump was ill-prepared, and while he landed some good blows, those were by far the exception -- Hillary had him on the defensive again and again, and he lost his cool early and never really got it back. So, I agree with most of my fellow viewers -- Trump got whupped, especially in the second half of the debate. And some of the most damaging exchanges for Trump came right at the end, which tends to be what people remember the most.

But if you're still not sure who won, just look at what Trump is doing today -- he's out there complaining that people couldn't hear him because his microphone was "defective" (it wasn't, I could hear him just fine) and he's complaining that the moderator was too tough on him and not tough enough on Hillary.

When you're making excuses, you're probably losing.

 
At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Castle joined the debate via twitter or youtube or both. I bet he won. The problem would be getting the info out that he won.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" heard Castle joined the debate via twitter or youtube or both. I bet he won."

I was just listening to Democracy Now on KMUD radio. They had the Green Party's Jill Stein going through the debate questions and giving her take. Nice touch, I thought. If more media outlets did that sort of thing it might improve the media's image, although the Committee on Presidential Debates' image is pretty much shot for many now.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't surprise me that Democracy Now pandered to Stein. We aren't a democracy, we are a Constitutional Republic. Democracy now likes to brainwash listeners into believing the mob rule mentality.
I agree that it would be nice if all media gave all nominees the spotlight so that then we the peons could think for ourselves for a change.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home