Friday, October 14, 2016

My Voting Adventrure

Hah, hah. I nullified all your votes today by going in and voting for Gary Johnson. Don't feel too bad, though. Now you don't have to bother voting and wasting that vote. Besides, you didn't really want to vote for Clump, did you?

It took me a bit longer than I expected. I went to what used to be the Elections Office on Harris Street, between H and I streets but it had been moved. I'd actually heard of that previously but thought they just moved to the other side of the building. 

Nope, they moved some ways away. I went into the Planning Dept. and one of the clerks, seeing my ballot, asked if I was looking for Elections, then gave me a small piece of paper with the new address. Off I went to find it.

It said they were at Humboldt Plaza on the 2600 block of 6th street. I'd never heard of Humboldt Plaza but wondered if it was the same as the old mall where Umpqua Bank was. After driving south of Myrtle Avenue on 6th Street a couple times I didn't find any numbered buidlings over 2500 so figured it must be north of Myrtle Avenue.

Nothing much on that side of Myrtle except the old mall so I drove straight there. There was a large sign on the side of the building: Humboldt County Elections and Voter Registration. I pulled into the parking lot, went into the office and asked the clerk if she could verify my signature would pass their scrutiny. She told me the signature they had on file and the one on my ballot were almost a perfect match.

Years earlier I'd been at Elections and brought up the signature/ absentee ballot issue. I wrote my signature on a piece of paper and asked the clerk if they would have accepted it. She said they wouldn't as they were too far apart. She didn't show me my old signature, but I could guess what it looked like. I gave them a new one for their records- probably the same one they used today.

This time the clerk- don't remember the exact words- told me signatures weren't too big a deal. Pretty much the opposite of what I was told years earlier.  But they accepted mine then pointed me to a large mailbox type container behind me being used for early ballots. I dropped it in and left. In that short moment I wasted all your votes.

Then I went home after stopping by Henderson Center Rite Aid to get a flu shot. What an adventure, huh?

4 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She should have said that it was the old Bazaar Store from the late 60s; Disco Department Store before that.

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One time, I signed a petition for a local ballot measure. The elections office sent me a notification that my petition signature and my signature on file did not match, and they made me send them a new signature. I guess they have loads of free time on their hands to annoy people. It certainly won't stop people who actually want to commit fraud.

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yawn...so what's your point Fred? You voted for Mr. Johnson and got a flu shot?<<<<< yawn. Do you think he will win?

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

" She should have said that it was the old Bazaar Store from the late 60s; Disco Department Store before that."

I don't remember the Disco, but used to buy my levis at Bazar and often did my shopping at Mark n Save that also shared that mall. Payless Drugs used to be there, too. Another big loss for Eureka when they were bought out by Rite Aid, imo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home