Thursday, October 27, 2016

Where's All The Campaign Signs?

Marcy Burstiner, journalism expert over at the North Coast Journal, points out something I suppose I'd noticed but paid scant attention to: There seems to be fewer campaign signs in people's yards compared to elections past.

She points out that what signs are out there are mostly for city council races. True that. She's referring to Arcata but it seems to hold true for Eureka, too.

I've wrote here before I find those signs rather annoying, despite being one who regularly has them in my yard. People don't seem to understand when I suggest those signs are akin to yelling at people as they pass by your house: VOTE FOR GARY JOHNSON! and so on.

I suspect the reason for the dearth of sign this time is the lack of candidates people want to admit supporting, with historically low opinions of the top two presidential candidates this year. 

That wouldn't explain the lack of Johnson signs, but I'm used to that. My personal experience has shown libertarians are more timid than most when it comes to expressing political opinion publicly. I believe the only Libertarian Party candidate signs I've seen up here since I became involved with the LP in '92 are ones I've put up. Same goes for bumper stickers, although I do recall seeing an "Enough is Enough, Vote Libertarian" sticker on a car in Arcata decades ago. Not sure whose car that was.

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to see a Ken Anton/state assemblly sign up I don't believe I had anything to do with. Over on Eureka's Little Fairfield Street. Wow! Someone other than me with an LP sign in their yard??? How can this be? I did give a sign to a lady on Pine Hill who said she was going to put it up elsewhere- on Washington Street, but that's a ways off from the this one. Nice to see, though.

The dearth of signs is fine for me since that gives the LP a bigger percentage of signs out. Even just the three signs I put up on I street. I felt I'd pulled a coup when I got those out on such a busy street. Sadly, last time I drove by they were gone, either stolen or perhaps the homeowners felt self conscious of the signs as so many libertarians do and took them down. I didn't want to put the homeowners on the spot by asking what happened.

In the meantime, I still have Anton, Johnson and Fullerton signs in my yard, although I moved the Fullerton one to my living room window to avoid vandalism, never mind the strong winds blowing at the time.

I suppose it's all for naught when you think of it as they're not there forever. I take my signs down as soon as the polls close and suggest everyone else do the same. It's rude to yell at people when there's no reason to.

15 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see the Libertarian party pulled out of election?

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If you have lived here long enough, you already know who people support, as it is such a small area population-wise.
I agree that campaign signs should come down right way after the election.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pulled out and endorsed the person who can beat Trump. http://bipartisanreport.com/2016/10/26/breaking-libertarian-party-concedes-election-stuns-america-with-2016-endorsement/

That explains why Gary thumbed his nose at the Fair & Equal debate, his last chance to show last minute voters his views. He told Christine he was scared. Needless to say, Christine was extremely disappointed in him. She is the one who gave him wings to debate in years past. Jill refused too, breaking her promise to be there.
Lily put in a good word for Libertarians though. I hope she wins the CO seat. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=172m05s&v=-BXjmU3Cs7w

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Did you see the Libertarian party pulled out of election?"

I believe that's recurring hoax centered on Will Weld, the VP nominee.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Carol wrote "If you have lived here long enough, you already know who people support, as it is such a small area population-wise."

That is a good thing about the signs: it lets you know who your enemies are.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Bill Weld's comments have been haunting us for some time. Just read another statement from him this morning saying he's still in the mix with the LP.

 
At 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"That is a good thing about the signs: it lets you know who your enemies are."

Fred, can you elaborate on what you mean by enemies?

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Sure. We should be shooting at each other over our political differences.Americans are just too far apart. Should it ever come to that, at least we know who to look out for.

Hey, the people up the street with the Allison For City Council signs might take a shot at me as they're driving or walking by my house. Nice to know ahead of time they'e on my bad side.

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are fewer presidential campaign signs for two reasons:

1. Few people are excited about the Democratic and Republican nominees.

2. You have to be uninformed to not realize Clinton has won California. People don't get excited about advocating for a candidate in an election that is a foregone conclusion. 538 gives Clinton a 99.9% probability of taking California. 538 is the gold standard for poll analysis. It correctly predicted the vote outcome in all 50 states in the 2012 election.

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo

 
At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"We should be shooting at each other over our political differences."

I'll take a pass on this one my libertarian friend.

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape. Or, why anyone would even joke about shooting their neighbors. The vast majority of people I know, both young and old, are for the most part overwhelmingly fat and well sated in life.

Why the fuck are people acting so insane about an election?

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep in mind two things.

One, California would never have nominated Trump if the other candidates hadn't dropped out long before California's very late primary election finally took place. The race began with 17 major Republican candidates. Trump wouldn't have risen to power if that number was closer to 3 or 4.

And, a majority of Humboldt voted for Bernie instead of Clinton.

No matter who gets elected, we all lose.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Bob Wallace said...

I read a comment by someone in the Clinton campaign who said that their research finds that signs aren't an effective way to win votes.

They're a poor way to spend campaign money and they print only enough to satisfy the people who insist on having one.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I would gladly put a Johnson sign in my yard, who hands those out anymore?

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I had some, but ran out, in no small part because the LP shorted my order. I ordered ten but they only sent five which were quickly used up, although there's only two up that I'm aware of now. One in
Ferndale and in my yard in Eureka.

You can order them from www.lp.org. Take the Shop link from there. Yard signs are like $5.00 with $5.00 shipping.

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Oh, and thanks for your interest and support.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home