Friday, November 11, 2016

Election Notes

I was out of town until yesterday afternoon. I'm sure you all eagerly awaited my comments on the election results so sorry for being so late. I can't really post here using my tablet or cell phone from elsewhere.

I was surprised to have the wife turn on the TV while we were at the Villa Inn in San Rafael and tune in incoming election returns. That wouldn't have been my choice but if that's what she wants to watch, she was more than welcome. I couldn't help but pay some attention, although I wasn't really all that interested in the presidential race, at least as the night went on. I only wanted final results.

I hadn't expected it but was happy to see Trump win, with one exception. That exception being it will be hard to avoid watching him for he next for years. I was overjoyed to see Clinton lose, especially to Trump. That must be a real blow to her ego to lose to a candidate like Trump. Clinton is all about herself so I'm sure her pride suffered immensely. I normally don't like to see people's feelings hurt but, in her case, it's a good thing since I hate her guts.

Then there's the Clinton/ Obama worshippers like Bill over at Dreaming Up Daily whose focus on Clinton and President Obama each day amounts to idolatry. He's not the only one, but I take some pleasure in seeing them all pissed off. I know I should be more sympathetic, but their heroes have been turning this country into a totalitarian state for close to eight years. Now it's time for paybacks, huh?

All the gnashing of teeth and forecasts of the end of civilization as we know it because of a Trump win? I heard big wig dumb shit Michael Moore giving that line on the Democracy Now radio show the other day.

I might not like the results of an imperial presidency, either, but at least I oppose it from both sides. Those on The Left should take heed of what a wise man said years ago: When you give government the power to give you everything you want, you also give it the power to take it all away. Yep, now all that government power doesn't seem so great, does it? You best keep that in mind the next time you have the power.

And what about the down ticket races? Hard to find results in the Bay Area except for the pot legalization and death penalty initiatives. When I got home it wasn't much better. I picked up our newspaper last night and was disappointed, not surprised, to see the Times- Standard's sketchy return info which didn't help at all.

Leave to the North Coast Journal to point me to the link I should have found myself. The Secretary of State's web site shows Libertarian Party candidate, Ken Anton, finishing up with over 25% of the vote. I had no expectation of him winning but that's pretty good for a third party candidate, albeit in a two way race. Had there been another third party running in that race it would historically result in him getting half that many votes. 

That was my main interest, aside from wondering how Gary Johnson might do in his run for the presidency. I appreciated CNN showing his returns on their coverage on election night. His vote totals were disappointing as usual, but at least that puts me in the position of the wise old sage who has been there and done this before. There were some on Johnson's Facebook page who seemed to really think he'd win. I'd stir the pot saying we'd likely be disappointed as I have been in every such race since '92 since I joined the LP.

Johnson got a hair over 3%, which was two points below my most optimistic projection. Oh well, I'm used to that. At least he beat the Green Party's Jill Stein in California. 

Then there's the statewide ballot initiatives. I was surprised to see them announcing Prop 64- that legal pot initiative- passing the first night. Very disappointed repeal of the death penalty failed, but not really surprised. A Left state like California is full of people that have no problem killing so long as they can feel there's no blood on their hands.


But, overall, the world didn't collapse for me Tuesday night. It will be business as usual for the next four years most likely. We'll wait and see how The Left tries to spin Trump's business as usual to be different than Obama's. 

Addendum: At least one lefty over at The Left's Spiked Online sees his fellow lefties blowing the Trump victory out of proportion:

 "... as Trump’s victory shocks the world, or at least that portion of it that lives in its own echo chamber, who is it that’s exhibiting ‘untrammelled emotion’? Who’s conjuring up ‘vivid images’ and ‘intense emotions’, particularly with regard to security? It isn’t Trump’s supporters, most of whom went from the ballot box back to their everyday lives. It’s the anti-Trump set. It’s those who spent months claiming Trump supporters lack the mental and moral equipment necessary for ‘reasoned deliberation’. Many of these rather elitist politicos and observers are behaving in a way that makes even the most hot-headed Trump cheerer look perfectly rational in comparison."
 

3 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Trump can be different than Hitler, but only time will tell.

His out the gate rhetoric, although on face was not inhumane, it was very similar to pre nazi assimilation Germany.......Police State, building support against some type of culture, internal gubbamint corrupted, bad economy, etc....lots of familiarities.

 
At 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice summary Fred, good to see you back on the keyboard.
Rand Paul, Justin Amash, Thomas Massie, Won their spots back & are eager to work with Trump.
Already news is has it that some of the gun control over reach will be repealed. This will be great for CC travellers & hearing issues.
Already news has reported the TPP is scratched! I pray that's true.
I wish the loco yokels would cover the real news instead of just the paid protestors. When Soros & Janet Napolitano speak...
Thankfully you blog, Fred! You're about the only sane one in NorCal, despite your man crush for Gary. Nobody's perfect. But you're closer than the others.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred,

I would rather have to watch Trump everyday than that lying prune face Clinton.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home