Sunday, November 13, 2016

Reminder: Supermoon

Earth/ Sky News reminds us we'll be able to see the supermoon tonight, or is it tomorrow night? Kind of confusing to me as they seem to say both times but, since it will be closest to the Earth tomorrow morning at 5:52am. I guess tonight could also be considered tomorrow morning. That's good because I'm usually up by then. Best catch it this time.

I'm not so sure it will be all that noticeably bigger than usual. The page I linked to has some comparison photos of normal vs. supermoon. And I know it won't be anything like the giant moon I saw many years ago.

When I was around 13 years old some friends and I went backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas. We started out from Yosemite and made our way to Mammoth lakes. The second night was spent at Little Yosemite Valley and the third at what I believe was Ireland Lake- up higher and to the east of Little Yosemite.

The first night at Ireland Lake seemed magical. It was warm and the moon rose over the mountains so big I'd swear we could have seen people walking on it had they been there. Not sure how to describe its size, but I figure I could extend a loot long ruler out in front of me and that moon might have touched both ends up it. Fish were jumping up from the lake, maybe cause the light from the moon had the bugs up and flying around.

I don't know if that was a supermoon. I've always attributed it to an illusion created by atmospheric conditions. I haven't seen the moon that big ever since. The one tonight will be nothing compared to that but I'll try and step outside to take a look tomorrow morning. It won't be this close again for another 18 years.

4 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

it was big and bright last night in clearlake at 11 pm when i walked pup before bedtime
you might try looking tonight before the fog .

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Fred, good information and good story! 😃

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Fred, you predicted the New Zealand quake with "the moonshiners moonshot heard round the world".

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Henchman Of Justice said...

Fred,

@ 4:22 pm (local earthquake),

HOJ tried for a bigger quake south of Ferndale, but you never chimed back, so the ripple effect did not occur.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home