Saturday, November 26, 2016

Rifleman Trivia

I try and watch old episodes of the old western The Rifleman whenever I can. I've been wondering what caliber rifle he used and finally found the answer on The Rifleman's web site: His 1892 Winchester used the old 44.40 round, as I'd guessed. That site also pointed out a continuity problem with the show: His rifle, manufactured in 1892, was actually made after the show's supposed period of time of 1880.

I'd love to be able to see those old rifles. One was supposedly given to the late Arnold Palmer. The other was sold to former Secretary of the Treasury, Bill Simon. Fun stuff to know, huh?

7 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who played The Rifleman? I am thinking it was the guy who played (first base?) for the Dodgers in the 50s.

 
At 1:41 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Chuck Conners

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

My mistake: Chuck Connors

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a good show, one I will catch a marathon of when it comes along.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. I always enjoyed Rifleman. It runs on MeTV sometimes but I couldn't tell you when. I know when I was in the hospital at UCSF they had a Rifleman marathon, along with Gunsmoke, Little House on the Prairie and more. Not sure what channel that was. It might have been the Hallmark Channel.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a saddle ring carbine 1892 in 25-20, absent the trigger mod. Awesome gun. I also try to watch whenever I can. I think its on in the afternoons on MeTV, usually two episodes per day. I have watched all of the episodes multiple times and never get tired of them. They have a lot of the old westerns on that channel.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Shame of it is we don't get MeTV anymore since we switched back to Dish Network. They have TV Land, which is another oldie network but we haven't seen anything we wanted to watch on that yet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home