Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Seedless Pot?

I've decided to grow pot in my garden next year, thanks to prop 64. Towards that end I've been checking with pot head friends and acquaintances to see if they'll save their seeds for me. Back in the day when I was into it, pot usually came with a bunch of seeds in the bag. One pothead friend hasn't answered yet. The other says her pot doesn't come with seeds and it's supposed to be that way.

Yeah, I get that, as when we were kids we usually considered seeds a nuisance more than anything else. But I wonder if the lack of seeds is from growers wanting users to keep their dependence on the growers?

I checked for online instructions on growing pot. The sites I found made it seem too complicated- telling about having "organic" soil and even going so far to tell which way up the seed should be planted. That's bs. When I was a kid I just poked a hole in the ground and threw a seed in. After a few days a plant would pop up but I usually had to pull them up lest they be discovered.

When we lived in Irvine I planted pot seeds in my mom's clay pots out on our patio. I should have kept my mouth shut but, in case my mom thought they were weeds, I worried she might pull them up so I proudly told her I had tomatoes growing in her pots. I don't think she believed me. Shortly after that she said she had a friend coming by to look at my tomatoes. More likely someone she knew that knew what young pot plants look like. I quickly pulled those plants up. She never said a thing about it after that.

I had my best luck back then when we lived in Tustin. I planted a seed in the garden area out front of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. My mom made us attend that church so it wouldn't look out of place for me to be seen there. After a few days it sprouted and I checked on it daily. Then one day I went by and it was laying on the ground, chopped off at ground level as if someone took a miniature chain saw to it. I've come to believe since then it was likely a cutworm as that's what they do.

When I first moved up here around '73ish we rented a flat out on Pigeon Point Road in what was known as the House of Squires, owned by Floyd and Betty Squires. I soon noticed the closet in my bedroom had a false wall of sorts. If you pulled aside the sheetrock, there was  space maybe 3 or 4 feet square behind it. I thought that might be a good place to grow pot.

I took an unused crisper drawer from our refrigerator and filled it with potting soil. Then I went to Montgomery Wards and bough an 18" grow lamp. Within a few days of putting the seed in it was up and growing. I was quite proud of myself with that one.

After it got to maybe 2 1/2 feet high, though, I started getting paranoid about the Sheriff coming in and arresting me. I pulled the plant up, dried it up and smoked it. Yep, I got a buzz from it.

So it shouldn't be that hard to grow some in my yard unless some of you come and rip me off. I'll probably start the seed in late April or May, assuming I can get the seeds. I see Craigslist usually has people offering already started plants. That's a possibility, albeit an expensive one for me.

The one thing I'm not sure about is any pruning with regards flowers and buds. Johnny Maniac probably knows. I'll ask him, but it all comes down to needing seeds. Seedless pot, huh? Another modern change I don't like.

3 Comments:

At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Fred. Don't bother with the "organic" nonsense. Just some liberal hippie con.
Just use some dirt from around your yard, or splurge and get a couple of cheap bags of dirt at Walmart.
You can use Miracle Gro for fertilizer, water them when you can - don't forget the Roundup for pests - and you'll be good to go.
Not near a school bus stop are you?

 
At 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No stems, no seeds that you don't need


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S_4SRhlnJI

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best pot is seedless. It's called sensimilla. Culling the males out makes it seedless. Since you live in Eureka, you will need a greenhouse. You could buy a few clones and not have to worry about seeds

 

Post a Comment

<< Home