Tuesday, December 13, 2016

The Left Goes After Electors

Richard Rider reports on efforts by the Left to convince members of the Electoral College to vote against the will of voters in their states. Below Rider's rant is an account by the Chair of the Kansas Republicans- an Elector herself- giving her account of being harassed by phone and e-mail over it:

 "The majority of the notes called for the elimination of the Electoral College because it was undemocratic. As an elector, I can’t do anything about this, but I still don’t buy the argument. There are many provisions in our constitutional republic that allow for a departure from direct democracy. The Electoral College ensures that Americans from throughout the country can be represented"

Tme will tell if this effort succeeds. I'm of half a mind that maybe it's time for bullets to start flying over this. I've long felt divisions in this country are too wide to be settled peacefully. That's not likely to happen, though. Americans have no problem killing people in other countries. They're too complacent to do it with any effect here. Besides, Syrian style civil war would take many of us, out of our comfort zones.

The big question for libertarians? Which side should you be on?

Addendum: Probably everything you've ever wanted to know about Electors here.

8 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, you had me until you used the phrase 'the will of the voters.' The will of the voters was to elect Clinton, by a margin of more than 2 million votes. Trump won on procedural issues, not the will of the voters.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Not necessarily by state.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, nationally, counting every vote cast by Americans, Clinton has more than 2 million votes over Trump. Checking just now, I see the undisputed number is up to 2.8 million more votes than Trump.

To me, the actual votes people cast are the only way to gauge the will of voters.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

The Republican Chairgal says Trump won her state. If that's the case I have no problem with her sticking with Trump.

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger MOLA:42 said...

Fred:

Please tell me I got you wrong: Are you advocating a Civil War in this country?

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Call it advocacy if you want. I wouldn't consider it advocacy since I'm not going to advocate something I won't start myself. I just feel the differences are too wide to be settled peacefully.Funny thing is, I wonder if those differences might seem insignificant if bullets started flying and homes are blown up as in Syria? Most of us Americans are too comfortable to put up with that. Most of us would probably quit and go home, if one was left.

Which is why I wonder why those in Syria don't just say let's quit and all go home? Yet they just keep going at it. Different culture, I suppose.

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger MOLA:42 said...

Fred:

Isn't that what Democracy is all about? We work out our differences peacefully through compromise and education?

Does the "American Experiment" end with us? And if it does, does it not fill you with shame? I know I feel shame that we have screwed this up so badly. But to advocate our stopping to talk to each other and resort to bullets... That is Defeatism in its most toxic form.

Happily, I still think this can be avoided, and should be avoided. We still have a chance to come together. If we spurn that chance then we are all damned.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Isn't that what Democracy is all about?"

No democracy is pretty much just two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for lunch, so democracy be damned, as I like to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home