Tuesday, February 07, 2017

AT&T Uverse Bitch Session

I mentioned yesterday my internet and phone is being switched to AT&T's uverse system. I'm not sure just how it works but, to hear them tell about it, it's much faster and will save me money- considerable money from what I could understand from the guy on the phone. I had a hard time understanding him but it sounded like maybe saving close to half of what I currently pay for internet and landline.

Call me skeptical in regards being much faster as I don't see how it could be using the same hardware. But, my bum nephew, who fancies himself an expert on all things computer, claims it will be a lot faster. Of course, he often opines about things he has no personal experience with and he's with Suddenlink for internet, not AT&T.

He did say there might be a conflict between uverse and my modem. Maybe especially so since he came by yesterday and installed a wifi router- Yes, I now have wifi. But, I pointed out to him some AT&T service guy is supposed to come by to complete the transition to uverse so he'll hopefully be able to clear up any problems and make sure it works right. "Hopefully" being the key word.

So here's your special spot to run down AT&T uverse. Comment about it all you want, but let's try and keep it clean. 

P.S: In regards wifi, I'm not a big fan of wifi and think it's over rated. I don't like having whatever I'm doing on the computer broadcast out to points unknown. But, it would be nice to use my wifi- only tablet while out in the garage and this wifi connection seems to extend out there strongly enough. The first thing I tried to do with it was download a program to my tablet. I couldn't get it to work but I think it was more a problem with the tablet than the wifi connection. We'll try that again later today.


8 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

With Uverse you will have an internet phone line (VoIP) instead of a copper wire line. From what I understand, the PUC does not regulate fees for VoIP as they do for traditional service. You might check with TURN to get an unbiased view of VoIP vs hard wire phone service.
www.turn.org

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Damn. I don't want an internet phone line. That's a big reason I didn't bundle with Suddenlink when I was with them. Oh, well, looks like I'll just throw caution to the wind and dive head first into this. At least that explains how it might be faster, although my phone works fine as it is.

Besides, I always have my cell phone.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/internet/att_broadband.html you can read complaints for yourself . i know every company has complaints and likes so you can decide .
and with the old wired setup , AT&T customers in calif. have CPUC to complain to about phone lines if at&t doesnt resolve your differences , but with uverse you only have at&t . NO GOVERNMENT HELP . i know , you dont like the gov but sometimes they can help
all i can say is good luck , maybe yours will be the exception and not the normal uverse

 
At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Uverse in Arcata is still on the old phone line. Basically DSL with a new modem. When I last had problems, they asked me if I dropped the modem. After a new modem, a couple phone calls and site visits by field technicians (at house and down the block junction), they said they switched me to the last good twisted pair in the neighborhood. Works great though. Thanks ATT!

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Rusty said...

You really don't want to loose that cooper land line. It's backup when the cells out.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I was thinking yesterday with my current set up, I can use the phone system's power for using the phone when the power goes out. If I'm gonna have a modem for the phone, if the modem doesn't have power, I have no phone service. But, I do still have my cell phone.

ATT called yesterday and said they'd be here today between 9 and 11am. Good to get it over with, but I don't like my morning being disrupted.

 
At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bypass the modem when the power goes out.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

If it uses voice over internet protocol, can you do that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home